Cavity is a hole in the tooth caused by a plaque that builds up overtime it gets larger and deeper as the time goes by especially when it is left untreated. When the cavity is left untreated it would serious oral disease like cause tooth decay and gum inflammation. The best way in preventing serious mouth disease is by preventing the cavities to develop in your teeth.
The advanced technology in the field of dentistry had developed many ways on how to treat cavities and oral diseases. However, the best way to avoid oral health problem is to practice good oral hygiene. There are dentist in Clarkson that practice preventive dentistry. It is a type of dental practice that focuses on the prevention of dental problems that may occur in the future.
Your oral health can directly affect your total wellbeing. That is why it is important to develop a good oral habit. Here are some tips on how to protect your teeth from getting cavities.
- Well-balanced diet is the key. Eating a well-balanced diet is the key to having healthy body, including healthy teeth and gums. Getting a variety of foods from the 5 food groups can aid in minimizing, if not totally preventing cavity and other oral health problems to occur. Limiting your sugar and starch intake can lessen your chances of getting cavities. If cannot be avoided, sugary and starchy food is best eaten during meals where we produce extra saliva that helps rinse food from our mouth. Increase the intake of healthy food like vegetables, cheese and low-fat yogurt. This kind of food promotes healthy and stronger teeth.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly. The most effective method of preventing cavity and other oral health problems from occurring is by practicing a good oral habit. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily removes the plaque from your teeth and gum line before it become a tartar. Un-removed tartar can cause cavity and other oral health problem.
- Visit dentist at least twice a year. Children and adult alike must visit their dentist regularly. Most of the oral health professionals suggest that we should have our teeth checked by a professional at least two times a year. Even how diligent we are in taking care of our teeth, we cannot keep it free from plaques without the help of a dentist. Regular cleaning and dental check-up is important in maintaining a healthy teeth and gums. If any cavities had developed, it can be treated immediately before it become more serious and harder to treat.
- Get dental sealant. Dental sealant is a thin plastic coating coated in your teeth. Its function is to prevent plaque from sticking in your teeth, thus avoiding cavities to develop. It acts as your teeth shield’s against cavities. If want to have your teeth protected, you may ask your Clarkson dentist about getting a dental sealant.
- Get sufficient fluoride. Fluoride is a mineral that helps teeth become healthy and more resistant to decay. Normally, our public water source is a good source fluoride. There many dental care products like toothpaste, mouthwash, floss that contains fluoride.
Just like the old adage says “an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.” Keeping your teeth and gum healthy begins with a good oral hygiene. A healthy teeth and gums promote healthy body and